Pneumatic compression is a form of pressure massage in which a garment completely covering the limb (legs or arms) inflates and deflates in a cyclical pattern over a period of time. The process flushes fluids containing metabolic waste and ushers in fresh, nutrient-rich blood to the limbs, improving circulation and blood flow. This increased circulation will reduce muscle pain and soreness, decrease swelling, and offer greater pain relief and recovery.
RecoveryAir devices are faster, safer, and more effective than other pneumatic compression systems. When it comes to pneumatic compression, not all systems are created equal. Our commitment to applying the latest science and research to the product development process is a key component in providing the world with the most effective, efficient, and easy-to-use products. Here are some key, proprietary differences in our technology compared with other systems:
True negative gradient of pressure: TruGrade Technology™ allows the garment to create precise pressure while inflating and deflating to sequentially travel up your legs from the bottom of your feet toward your heart through four overlapping chambers to temporarily increase circulation to the treated area. The spiraling overlap of chambers safely maximizes circulation compared with other designs that interrupt air flow and create potentially harmful peaks and valleys of pressure.
Faster recovery, 2-3x times the speed of competitors: FastFlush Technology™ aids in recovery by completing one full cycle in just 60 seconds.¹ This is two-to-three times faster than competitors. This refers to the flush cycle – or the way the boots inflate or deflate – which occurs in just 60 seconds. This makes RecoveryAir two-to-three times faster than other pneumatic compression boots. The more flushes, the faster recovery.
Safer with precise pressure control: Our system allows you to set your session to precise units of pressure and monitors pressure according to the size of the limb being treated to prevent dangerous overconstriction. Many systems deliver a wide range of pressures within an arbitrary setting, often inflating past a safe human blood pressure.
More effective with full inflation and deflation: RecoveryAir’s precise pressure control and true negative gradient allow for a fuller, more complete cycle of compression and release. This flushes out metabolic waste more effectively, and allows fresh, oxygenated blood to return to the limb faster.
Superior, hygienic design: The RecoveryAir garments have non-porous medical grade material that helps prevent bacteria buildup and provides a resistant surface. The internal overlapping chambers provide one smooth surface to clean, which means no wiping under chamber flaps where bacteria can build up. This also means no smells. Unexposed to the user, this design provides a seamless, easy-to-clean surface on the interior of the boot.
¹Data based on comparison of Therabody’s FastFlush cycle to NormaTec’s Flush Mode.
While the core technology of RecoveryAir is still faster, safer, and more effective, our latest generation truly ushers in the future of pneumatic compression. Our systems still use a negative gradient of pressure to sequentially travel up the limbs from the foot to heart to increase circulation, help reduce muscle soreness, and aid recovery. Now, you’ll notice a modern, updated design aesthetic of the pumps, controls, and garments. The all-new JetBoots is also completely revolutionary in pneumatic compression — not only is the pump and one-touch control panel fully integrated into the boot itself, JetBoots is fully wireless. No cords. No external pumps. Nothing to plug in. That is truly anytime, anywhere recovery.
Fully customizable, fully wireless, or simplified — RecoveryAir offers a system for everybody. Visit our handy Compare page to view the benefits of each RecoveryAir model side-by-side and find the one that’s right for you.
We put together all the resources you need to get started with your RecoveryAir system, including finding the intensity level, session-time, and more that's right for you. Click here to view RecoveryAir Quick Start Guides for all generations, and more.
You can use your RecoveryAir system anytime, as it features dedicated modes for warm-up and recovery as well as extensive customization options (PRO model only) to tailor your recovery to your needs. It's also a great option for decompressing after a long day before bed. Sit back, relax, and recover hands-free.
Theoretically, you can use RecoveryAir for as long as you like, as long as you do not experience pain or discomfort. If you feel discomfort when using RecoveryAir devices, decrease the intensity of the compression (treatment pressure), decrease the hold time (how long the boots stay inflated at the end of each cycle) or increase the release time (duration between treatment cycles). If you feel pain, immediately stop using the device.
The latest (second) generation of RecoveryAir systems connects to the Therabody App via Bluetooth, allowing you to customize and control your treatment right from your smart phone.
The latest RecoveryAir PRO system is compatible with all available RecoveryAir garments including the Compression Half-Jacket, PRO Compression Pants, and Compression Sleeve.
RecoveryAir JetBoots are designed to be on-the-go recovery for the legs only and do not have the capability to connect to any RecoveryAir garments.
The RecoveryAir Prime system is compatible with the RecoveryAir Compression Sleeve only.
After connecting your RecoveryAir Compression Half-Jacket or Sleeve to the RecoveryAir system with the instructions provided, you will notice that the secondary vent remains unconnected and exposed. Make sure you secure the secondary vent of your RecoveryAir system with one of the blocker plugs included. This will ensure your pump pumps air directly into the garment without leakage.
Upper and lower body RecoveryAir compression garments should not be used at the same time, but in separate sessions to ensure the safest experience with applying pressure to the body.
A Compression Sleeve and Compression Half-Jacket should not be used together.
Two Compression Sleeves can be used at once.
While the RecoveryAir PRO Compression Vest and Pants, and RecoveryAir Compression Sleeve are one size fits most, please refer to the following maximum measurements for the best fit
RecoveryAir PRO Compression Vest
Max chest circumference: 47.2 in (120 cm)
RecoveryAir PRO Compression Pants
Max waist circumference: 47.2 in (120 cm)
RecoveryAir Compression Sleeve
Max circumference at the top of the sleeve: 28.7 in (73 cm)
Max circumference at the bottom of the sleeve: 12.9 in (33 cm)
RecoveryAir devices feature a rechargeable internal battery, which can be charged with the DC power adapter when the device is turned on.
How to charge Recovery Air Prime and PRO: Connect the power adapter to the device and it will begin charging. Turn off the power switch to conserve battery power when not charging or using the device.
How to charge RecoveryAir JetBoots: Plug into the power connection port at the top-right of the console at the base of the boot. You can use the devices while they are charging. We recommended charging the device for no more than 8 hours.
Cleaning the pump/device (Prime and PRO only): Disconnect the device from any electrical outlets before cleaning. Let it dry completely before reconnecting it to the electrical outlet. Wipe clean using a slightly damp cloth. Do not allow any moisture or liquids to enter the device.
Cleaning JetBoots: Avoid liquid cleaners around the console at the bottom of the foot and the control panel at the top of the boot.
Cleaning the boot/garment: Gently wipe the external and internal surfaces of the boots/garment using a soft cloth, warm water not exceeding 100F, and a mild detergent. Do not submerge in liquid or allow liquid to enter the air inlets of the boot/garment. Wipe dry using a soft towel only. When dry, the external and internal surfaces of the boot/garment may be wiped down with 70% alcohol or with appropriate alcohol-based disinfectant. Store out of direct sunlight.
You are free to wear anything you feel most comfortable in, but we do recommend athletic or moisture-wicking clothing for maximum hygiene and comfort during your recovery session.
To protect both the user and the product from damage, do not use the RecoveryAir system with any objects on your person or in your pockets. Do not use the RecoveryAir system with shoes on; socks are fine.
Yes. RecoveryAir can be used along with other products in Therabody’s ecosystem to form a powerful recovery routine, using the different therapies (modalities) to attend to different needs at various points throughout your day – no matter your age, activity level or lifestyle.
If you want an energizing boost before your run or when you first wake up in the morning, Theragun is there for you with the percussive power you need and can be applied to almost anywhere on your body.
On your feet all day or just completed an intense run/training session? Before you target areas with Theragun, wind down with a longer RecoveryAir session while you read or watch TV to really get a full flush of the legs and increase circulation – no effort required.
Theragun is an active, versatile way to hone in on any one muscle or area, while RecoveryAir provides a broader, passive option to addressing circulation in the body.
RecoveryAir can also be used in conjunction with PowerDot, Therabody’s electrical stimulation device. Both devices are best used when the body is relaxed and sitting. You can pull on your RecoveryAir boots on your legs while using PowerDot on your upper body (lower back, abdomen, shoulders, traps).
Alternatively, if your quads, hamstrings or calves need more targeted attention from PowerDot, use RecoveryAir Sleeves up top to flush the larger muscles in your arm, torso and back.
Been using your keyboard mouse too much lately? Zip on your RecoveryAir Sleeve for a nice long recovery routine, and finish up with some Revive CBD Body Balm on your forearms to help melt the tension away.
Yes. RecoveryAir can be stored in checked luggage or a carry-on. It should be removed from your bag to run through the x-ray machine when required, just like a laptop.
Yes! To view your eligibility for special discounts please visit our Military, First Responder, and Frontline Healthcare Worker discount pages.
ProCare coverage is not offered for RecoveryAir systems.
We advise consulting your physician before use of RecoveryAir products if you are currently experiencing any injury or have had a previous injury.
RecoveryAir PRO and Prime have a five digit serial number located on the base of the pump.
RecoveryAir JetBoots have a five digit serial number located on the rating label (a white square tag) tucked into the exterior of the boot, close to the main console.
RecoveryAir Generation 1 systems have a six digit serial number located on the tag on the interior of the compression boots or RecoveryAir garment.
Yes! Our customer service team is happy to assist you with any questions you might have about your RecoveryAir, and all first generation systems are still covered under our Limited Warranty.
Important Safety Information
Read all instructions before using the RecoveryAir compression systems for the first time.
This system is intended for use by people in good health. This system is not recommended for people who have heart problems, or vascular problems, have a condition requiring the use of any medical device, or have any condition that may affect their normal well-being.
- If you are, or may be, pregnant, consult with your physician before use.
- Do not use this system over insensitive or numb areas, or in the presence of poor circulation. Do not use if you have been diagnosed with blood clots, deep vein thrombosis or phlebitis. This system should not be used over swollen or inflamed areas or skin eruptions. Do not use in the presence of unexplained calf pain.
- Consult your physician prior to use.
Safety Warnings and Precautions
- Explosion Hazard: Do not use the RecoveryAir PRO Compression System in the presence of flammable gases, including flammable anesthetics.
- Electric Shock Hazard: Do not allow liquid to enter any part of the RecoveryAir PRO Compression System pump. Do not immerse in water or liquid. To clean, follow instructions found in this FAQ.
- Electric Shock Hazard: To prevent electric shock, do not open the pump. Do not attempt to service the pump yourself. All repairs should be performed only by Therabody trained and authorized service personnel. Service by unauthorized personnel will void any warranty.
- Stop using the system if there is any change in RecoveryAir PRO Compression System’s performance.
- Do not modify any part of the RecoveryAir PRO Compression System.
- The RecoveryAir pneumatic compression system includes small parts that could cause choking in children. Keep away from children and pets.
- Do not inflate the garment without wearing it over the intended body area or with open zippers. Doing so can damage the garment.
- Do not apply excessive force to the garment straps. Do not use the straps for any purpose other than intended by the manufacturer. Use of excessive force and/or misuse shall void the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Do not stand or walk while wearing the garment.
- Disconnect the pump from the electrical outlet before cleaning and let it dry completely before reconnecting it to the electrical outlet.
- Do not operate the RecoveryAir PRO Compression System while operating a vehicle.
- Do not store or transport the RecoveryAir PRO Compression System beyond the specified temperature, humidity, and atmospheric pressure range.
- Do not use the RecoveryAir PRO Compression System beyond the specified temperature range: 10 to 30°C (50 to 86°F).
- Do not use the RecoveryAir PRO Compression System beyond the specified humidity range: 30%rH–75%rH, non-condensing.
- Only use the RecoveryAir PRO Compression System up to 3000m above mean sea level.
- To prevent any damage to the RecoveryAir PRO Compression System, keep it away from dust, lint, and dirt. Keep away from sources of heat or moisture.
- To prevent any damage to equipment, use only accessories, detachable parts, and materials described in the User Manual.
- While in use, place the pump on a horizontal firm surface only. Do not place the pump on a bed, blanket, mattress, pillow, or soft furniture. Do not cover the pump.
- The equipment is to be installed and put into service according to the EMC information provided in Chapter 11 - EMC Manufacturer Declarations.
- Portable and mobile RF communication equipment might affect the equipment.
- For indoor use only.
- Use only the DC power adapter provided with the pump.
- The massage sensation should be pleasant and comfortable. If you experience pain or discomfort during or after the massage or if there is onset of bruising or irritation during or after the massage, discontinue use and consult your physician.
- Do not hand or machine wash. Surface wipe only.
- Do not allow liquid to get into the air inlets.
- Do not use bleach.
- Do not dry clean.
- Do not wring, iron, tumble, or force heat dry