More than 600 million people around the world run regularly. If you’re one of them, keep up the good work! You’re likely reaping a ton of important health benefits – from improved muscular strength, bone density and cardiovascular fitness to decreased risk of disease and illness. Running is also a great way to keep your mental health in check, as it has been shown to improve both stress management and self-confidence.
As a runner, you’re probably also familiar with the many injuries that can come with the sport. Plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, shin splints…the list goes on. In fact, at least 50% of regular runners deal with some sort of running-related injury each year. Most are chronic in nature, due to overuse, improper form and poor training and recovery.
The good news is that there are proactive steps runners can take to prioritize resiliency and decrease likelihood of injury. Therabody offers several tools that can help runners with proper warm-up, mobility, cool down and recovery practices – so you can run more confidently than ever.
Theragun is an incredibly versatile deep tissue massage tool that’s ideal for warming up pre-run, cooling down afterwards and soothing associated aches and pains. Here are some Theragun best practices for runners:
- Run Warm-Up Routine: Use the Standard Ball attachment, set the speed to 2200-2400 PPM and apply the Theragun to your feet, shins, calves, hamstrings, quads and glutes, staying on each muscle group for 10 seconds.
- Run Recovery Routine: To cool down, use the Dampener attachment, set the speed to 1750 PPM and use the Theragun on your feet, shins, calves, hamstrings, quads and glutes, staying on each muscle group for 30-60 seconds.
- To address intermittent aches and pains, use the Theragun with the Dampener attachment, select a speed between 1750-2100 PPM (your preference) and apply to targeted areas for 30-60 seconds each.
- You can follow along with these running routines and more in the Therabody app.
Our lineup of RecoveryAir compression wearables can help speed up recovery, decrease muscle soreness and combat leg fatigue by maximizing blood flow in the lower body. Here are a few RecoveryAir tips for runners, whether you’re using RecoveryAir Prime, RecoveryAir JetBoots or RecoveryAir PRO:
- Use RecoveryAir directly after a run or at the end of your day using moderate-to-high pressure (above 50mm Hg) for about 20 minutes.
- To help recharge your legs pre-run, try a short 10 minute session with RecoveryAir using low-to-moderate pressure (below 50mm Hg).
And finally, the Wave Solo, our ultra-portable vibration device provides targeted relief to areas like the sole of the foot, calf, hip flexor and low back. It’s also compact enough to bring on the road or in a gym bag. While the ball itself is great for applying pressure to hard-to-reach places, the addition of vibration therapy helps increase blood flow and mobility and reduce tension.
- Before you begin the rest of your pre-run warm-up, try the Wave Solo at the highest vibration speed to help activate your muscles and nervous system.
- Try out the Wave Solo Run Warm-Up routine in the app, which helps prep your feet, calves, quads, hamstrings and glutes.
Don’t let preventable injuries, aches or soreness get in your way – go out there and run your best! And while you’re at it, check out the Therabody app for exclusive science-backed running guided routines you can follow pre- and post-workout.