PowerDot's neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) and transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) send electronic pulses to your motor nerves to create muscle contraction and stimulate sensory nerves to temporarily relieve pain.
PowerDot takes the guesswork out of NMES and TENS, a recovery modality usually reserved for athletes and training rooms. The accuracy of pad placement, intensity level, and session time of any muscle stimulation is critically important for safety and efficacy. That's why our smart app finds the precise combination for you, intelligently taking fatigue level, recent activity, and unique needs into account.
Electrical stimulation sends electrical signals through a device, stimulating sensory and/or motor nerves. There are two types of electrical stimulation: transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) and neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES).
NMES: NMES uses an electrical current to stimulate the motor nerves, which results in muscle contraction. This stimulus is designed to mimic the same type of signal the brain sends to the muscle when you move.
TENS: TENS uses an electrical current to stimulate the sensory nerves for therapeutic purposes. This stimulation suppresses the pain signals that are being sent to the brain to provide temporary pain relief.
Electricity is the natural way the cells in our body communicate, execute specific functions, and provide life. TENS uses the same method your body already uses to prevent the sensory nerves from telling the brain you are experiencing pain.
The Uno is a single PowerDot that allows you to stimulate one side of the body at a time.
The Duo is a pair of PowerDots allowing the user to stimulate both sides of the body or multiple muscle groups at once. With double the pads, Duo cuts your usage time in half while extending their life span. You'll cut down on the number of applications/re-applications to treat any one area.
Either option allows access to all of the pad placements, programs and modalities with the exception of “Long Haul Flight” (only available for Duo use).
Everyone's physiology is different and reactions to muscle stimulation will vary. While our app ensures the safest, most accurate intensity level, pad placements, and session time for your needs, adjusting the intensity level until you see a visual twitch in the muscle being treated is a general rule of thumb. As the smartest muscle stimulator in recovery, PowerDot intelligently takes fatigue level, recent activity, and other unique needs into account when recommending intensity level.
If you currently own an Uno and wish to use as a Duo, all you need is to purchase a second Uno and pair it to your app.
PowerDot pad adhesive lasts for about 20 applications, but actual life span may vary. We suggest using an alcohol wipe or saline wipe to clean the skin prior to use. Apply the pads on clean, dry skin, being sure to wipe off any sweat or natural skin oils.
Always store in a cool place.
The PowerDot app offers “Device Sharing” for Apple users (not offered for Android) with up to 4 other Apple users. Follow these steps to access this:
- Prior to setting up “device Sharing” we recommend having team member(s) create their profiles via the app on their Apple device and allow for app notifications to accept the “device Sharing” invite
- Pair your PowerDots to your app on your Apple device
- Tap on “My Device” second to last icon on the bottom right
- Tap on “Set Up Device Sharing”
- Turn on by tapping on slider
- “Add Team Member(s)” by entering/adding the email associated with their PowerDot profile
- The team member would then receive an “in-app” notification to accept the PowerDot
- “Device Sharing” is now complete
- Just make sure that other team members have their Bluetooth turned off if they are nearby
In short, yes! We recommend utilizing the Performance programs no more than 1-2 times daily, per muscle group. The Recovery, Wellness, Everyday and TENS programs, can be utilized multiple times daily or as often as needed.
Charging your PowerDots to full should not take more than 90 minutes. You can charge PowerDots from any micro-USB connection or standard USB-compatible AC charger.
Yes! The PowerDot app and firmware is specifically designed to work independently in such a way that other apps running on your phone, calls or services won’t interfere with active stimulation programs from the PowerDot app.
PowerDot’s firmware is smart enough to independently complete and stop your stimulation session even if the Bluetooth connection is lost between PowerDot and your phone/tablet.
PowerDot applies electrical impulses to contract or twitch your muscles. The electrical impulse always flows between two points, with one point (or channel) beginning at the rectangular pad and one round pad and the second point/channel between the rectangular pad and the second round pad.
Therefore, if you disconnect the round pads, you won't be able to feel any muscle stimulation at all.
The following factors could be attributed to the difference in your feelings:
- Positioning of the pads - If the rectangular pad is located closer to the nerve or muscle motor point, the brain could be prioritizing the stimulation feedback signal between the pads. Feel free to experiment with pad position of round pads on the muscle in order to see if you can find a position closer to the muscle belly (where motor points are usually located).
- Muscle fatigue - If the muscle fibers under your round pads are significantly tired compared to the muscles under rectangular pad, a higher intensity will be required in order to notice the difference.
In general, if you can see a contraction or twitches under any of the pads, there is absolutely no reason to worry, as your muscles always contract along its full length, between the rectangular pad and each of the round pads.
Yes! Once on your flight and in Airplane mode, simply turn Bluetooth back on and you will be able to use all of the PowerDot programs in flight.
There is a possibility of having a minor muscle imbalance. Let’s say you work out 4-5 times a week and use your PowerDots daily for recovery and training. No matter which program is selected, the right side (dominant side) will always fire at a lower intensity with recovery programs because of overcompensation during training. On the other hand, when using the training programs, the left side (non-dominant side) will fire at a lower intensity because it is not put under as much stress as the right side. Now if you swapped the device from left to right you would have to adjust the intensity; this is the easiest way to tell if it is an imbalance.
The following factors may also account for the difference in stimulus during use:
- Level of battery charge. Make sure the battery charge level is similar on both devices or get a full charge on both devices.
- Pads setup: make sure that pads setup on one side is mirroring the other side. Both setups should follow the recommended positioning in the app.
- Some people have difference in sensation and muscle recruitment between left and right sides of the body. In case you still feel the difference, please adjust the intensity for each device separately using the Powerdot mobile app “Device Lock” feature, available from the Stimulation Dashboard in the bottom menu.
- The linked devices feature allows you to control each PowerDot independently when turned off. You could then turn off link channels and control each cable independently. This is very useful when you are dealing with imbalance/dominance.
If you believe that the above information does not pertain to your situation, please let us know.
We recommend sitting or lying down during your PowerDot stimulation sessions with the main objective of developing strong isometric resistance for the heavy muscle contractions, generated by PowerDot.
However, depending on the muscles you’re stimulating and your stimulation program selection, you can also perform other activities (e.g. use your laptop or PC, read a book or watch TV) that will create little or no impact during you PowerDot stimulation.
The PowerDot app provides advice on the recommended stimulation positions for different stimulation programs and muscle groups.
Once your tolerance towards muscle stim increases, you can also try applying various dynamic exercises during use of the Performance program (such as performing air squats during strength/explosive strength contractions over your quads or hamstrings).
NEVER use PowerDot while driving, operating machinery, doing heavy physical training or any other action where involuntary muscle contraction can cause an accident or injury.
Pair to a new Apple phone/device
Perform a full factory reset before attempting to pair following the 2 steps below:
1. Reset the PowerDot(s)
- Turn the PowerDot(s) on
- Once on, press and hold the power button until the white LED Light begins to blink and turns off
2. Begin the Re-pairing process
- Open PowerDot app
- Tap on “My Devices” tab
- Tap on ""Add Device""
- Turn on PowerDot
- Tap on Continue
- Tap on “Pair” from Bluetooth Pairing Request
- Repeat steps III – VI for a Duo
If any of these are missed, you could end up with connectivity issues.
Pair to a new Android phone/device
Perform a full factory reset before attempting to pair, please follow the 2 steps below:
1. Reset the PowerDot(s)
- Turn the PowerDot(s) on
- Once on, press and hold the power button until the white LED Light blinks and turns off
2. Begin the Re-pairing process
- Open PowerDot app
- Tap on “My Devices” tab
- Tap on ""Rescan""
- Turn on PowerDot – Only turn one on at a time for Duo
- Wait for pairing to complete
- Repeat steps III – V for a Duo
If any of these are missed, you could end up with connectivity issues.
PowerDot products should not be used in the following instances:
- People with electronic devices such as pacemakers and intra-cardiac defibrillators.
- People suffering from epilepsy.
- Use during pregnancy.
- Place of electrodes to the front and sides of the neck.
- Stimulation of the thoracic area of people with cardiac arrhythmia.
- Stimulation of the lower legs in cases of venous thrombosis or severe arterial obstruction (ischemia).
- Stimulation of abdominal area in case of abdominal or inguinal hernia.
- In case of particular health problems, it is always recommended that you seek the advice of a healthcare professional.
- NEVER use PowerDot while driving, operating machinery, doing heavy physical training or any other action where involuntary muscle contraction can cause an accident or injury.
PowerDot Uno, PowerDot Duo, and PowerDot Pro Bundle are covered by a 60-day at-home trial. PowerDot 2.0 and 1.0 Pad Refills, Back Pad, and Charging Station are covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee. See our Return Policy for details.
Your PowerDot is covered by a 1-year warranty
The new feature in the PowerDot app is the Period Pain Relief Program. This is a scientifically designed preset program that takes the guesswork out of using electrical stimulation to provide period pain relief. Electrical signals produced by a TENS device prevents the sensory nerves - the nerves that lie just below the skin - from sending pain signals to the brain and stimulates the release of endorphins - which are natural pain relief hormones made by the body.
To use the feature:
- Download the PowerDot app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. Input your email address and create a password to log in.
- Open the PowerDot app, tap the Period Pain Relief Program.
- Use the slider to select the duration of your session, which can range from 30-90 minutes.
- Place the pads and pods at the site of pain on the body as instructed.
- Connect your pod(s) and leads.
- Tap “start workout” and increase the intensity to where you feel a tingling sensation that is tolerable but not painful. You may need to increase the intensity throughout the session as your body gets used to the electrical stimulation.
- You should NOT use PowerDot on your low back and abdomen at the same time.
This program adds to the versatility of PowerDot. The Period Pain Relief Program was scientifically designed to specifically provide period pain relief from menstrual cramps and other pain points experienced throughout a menstrual cycle. When dealing with something as sensitive as menstrual pain, PowerDot's smart, personalized experience ensures your session is safe and efficacious.
Research indicates that up to 95% of women of reproductive age are affected by menstrual or period pain. This can then lead to a decrease in physical activity, interference with professional and/or social commitments, and a decreased quality of life. This program adds to the versatility of PowerDot; it is another way PowerDot helps menstruating people through each stage of their cycle.
Research has also shown that over the counter medications like ibuprofen (NSAID) simply don’t work for some people. Additionally, these medications list numerous side effects like gastrointestinal issues (vomiting, diarrhea, heartburn), liver or kidney toxicity, blood clots or other abnormalities, migraines, weight gain, and fluid retention (edema). Research has shown that using TENS reduces menstrual pain by 25%, is 7.2 times more effective at menstrual pain reduction compared to a placebo, and reduces ibuprofen (NSAID) intake.
Heat can also be a beneficial method in reducing menstrual pain; we recommend heat application to be used in conjunction with the period pain relief program.
Furthermore, we received feedback from our customers who said they were already using PowerDot in this way; many reached out to our customer support team to verify that it is safe to use PowerDot for period pain. Given there is scientific evidence that supports this, we created a specific program that guides users to the optimal settings and pad placements to help alleviate the common areas where people experience pain during menstruation.
We are committed to helping everybody live better, healthier lives. We are constantly examining scientific research about all people who have menstrual cycles and looking to the ways in which the Therabody ecosystem of products can help people optimize their lives. This research extends to those who experience menstrual pain and a host of the most pressing wellness issues that menstruating people face today.
- Citation for TENS is 7.2x more effective at menstrual pain reduction: Proctor, M. L., Smith, C. A., Farquhar, C. M., & Stones, R. W. (2002). Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation and acupuncture for primary dysmenorrhoea (Cochrane Review). The Cochrane Library, 1.
- Citation for TENS reduces NSAID intake: Dawood, M. Y., & Ramos, J. O. S. E. F. I. N. A. (1990). Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) for the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea: a randomized crossover comparison with placebo TENS and ibuprofen. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 75(4), 656-660.
No, for your safety, you should not use PowerDot simultaneously on the abdomen and lower back at the same time. The electrical stimulation simultaneously used on the abdomen and lower back may unintentionally affect nerves that regulate internal functions.
Research shows the minimum effective TENS treatment session for period pain relief is 20 minutes. However, PowerDot can be worn for longer periods, even beyond 8 hours. The Period Pain Relief Program in the PowerDot App allows you to determine a timeframe between 30 and 90 minutes, and the intensity level. Once you complete a session, it is safe to start another session, if you need additional pain relief.
There is no evidence that suggests using PowerDot for multiple hours is unsafe. However, we do not recommend sleeping with the device on, as you should always be aware of the stimulation.
Yes, the use of TENS for period pain relief has been tested over the last several decades and peer-reviewed scientific research supports the use of TENS. It can be used in conjunction with other treatment methods, like percussive therapy on the back, CBD topicals, or heat.
PowerDot offers more versatility than any other TENS device so people can tailor their use to their own pain points. Such benefits that speak to this versatility include:
- Two pad options, rectangular + round configuration and butterfly pad
- Ability to use either one or two pucks (Uno or Duo configuration) depending on how much surface area the pain radiates
- Ability to adjust the intensity and duration
- Flexibility to use the device as many times as needed throughout the day
The Period Pain Program uses transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), which is a sensory level stimulation, designed only to stimulate your sensory nerves that lie just below the skin. There is no evidence that suggests TENS will damage egg quality or negatively affect reproductive health. We are continuing to investigate the use of our devices throughout the entirety of the menstrual cycle and placing a focus on the health and wellness of menstruating people, which has been an underserved demographic in the research community.
However, we always advise consulting with a medical professional before using PowerDot if you have any concerns about its effects on your reproductive health.
Conditions like endometriosis, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), and fibroids are those that cause pain beyond the general pain associated with menstruation. We recommend consulting a medical professional as TENS may aid as an additional source of pain relief for those who have been diagnosed with these conditions.
Yes, PowerDot can be used with both copper and hormonal IUDs. However, if you are concerned, you should consult with a medical professional.
There are studies that indicate TENS is helpful in reducing labor pains, but we advise speaking with a medical professional. We do not recommend using PowerDot on your abdominal area while pregnant.
Therabody has an ecosystem of wellness products that can be used in conjunction with the Period Pain Relief Program. Theragun is great for back pain in general and may provide low back pain relief during menstruation. Revive CBD Body Balm Stick (RED) and Soothe CBD Massage Oil may also be used as complementary products, as they have warming and soothing elements that may also provide comfort from period pain. Use TheraOne products after using PowerDot, as direct contact with any lotion will decrease the stickiness of the pads.
The primary difference is the surface area covered. By offering one or two pods and multiple pad configurations, PowerDot provides more versatility and ability to properly target pain points than any other TENS device on the market. Many other solutions do not cover a large enough area to provide sufficient pain relief. Though individual results can vary when using the Period Pain Relief Program, our solution gives users the ability to cover a larger surface area and maximize pain relief.
If you don’t see the update, you may need to log out and log back into the app. If you have not updated your phone in a while, you may need to update your phone and the PowerDot app as well.
The PowerDot app itself does not track the menstrual cycle. However, if you track your cycle in Apple Health and allow its data to feed into PowerDot, you can get recommendations for recovery based on your activity metrics.
The PowerDot app will not tell you when to use the device for period pain, as everyone experiences pain at different times throughout their cycles.
However, if you are tracking your cycle, you can certainly make sure you are prepared by ensuring your PowerDot device is charged and having it on-hand when you anticipate the onset of your cycle.